Wednesday, April 13, 2011

jesus

take a second and answer "what does it mean to be religious?, what is important to religious people?"........... i've been pretty frustrated with the whole christianity thing lately...which is a little more difficult to deal with seeing as how i am a christian...and i just might say somethings that i will regret later as i work through this and try to come out on the otherside with a better understanding of what i means to be a follower of Jesus...i just feel like the VAST majority of us are doing more harm than good...demonstrating more hate than love...judging more than caring...helping ourself way more than helping others... it seems that if Jesus were to give up his heavenly body again (whatever that means exactly) and come back here, that most of us would run home get our suit and tie on (don't forget the american flag lapel pin), say a quick prayer reminding him that you voted straight republican, turn on fox news and wait for him to be a guest on whoevers show is replacing glen beck........... back in the day the pharisees and sadducees were the super religious dudes that Jesus was always butting heads with...partly because they were super into keeping rules, telling others to keep the rules and just being super legalistic over all...i think Jesus was trying to show them that thier heart wasn't in it, they were just checking off a list to show how "good" they were...but they weren't actually acting out of devotion to God or thier fellow man...Jesus pointed that out, they got pissed and killed him...my point is, i feel like we behave more like pharisees and sadducees (judging people based on church attendance, how much cash they give back to God, who they kiss...yada yada......... anyhow, there is this idea in christianity that we are supposed to be Jesus' body...his hands, feet, etc. going out into the world doing the things that Jesus wants done...well, from my own experiences and yours too, i would imagine, i say we're doing a pisspoor job ( thats why the photoshop picture, Jesus face with an emaciated and decaying body)........... back to my question at the top...what is important to religious people?...based on our actions i'd say most people think its about keeping gay people from marrying, yelling about hell, consistantly going to a church building and giving people who don't the evil eye and on and on.... somewhere in the bible Jesus says something like "true religion is looking after orphans and widows" and "they will know you are my disciples if you love one another"...when is the last time you felt that in the prescence of a christian?...i hope its at least the next time i see you...if not, tell me to shape up

6 comments:

  1. I would have to say that to answer this would be really hard not in person for me, just because I'm not a good typer. There can be no sweet simple answer that would do this justice. On your politic note, I would just say personally I don't claim one or the other, because they both are ridiculous. I think Glen Beck is stupid, he is as radical as it gets. My sick mother in law watches him and I just can't stay in the same room. Any who we should get lunch and discuss sometime.
    Oh and thanks for asking the tough questions that everyone is afraid to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this babe...I think that people feel this same way a lot and are afraid to express it in fear that the 'church' would not be happy with them. I struggle with the stupid religious things too...it's hard when you have been taught your entire life to "be or act" religious (remember I grew up in a indipendent baptist church) I think so many people miss the mark in every 'relegion'. It's hard for some people including myself to rely enough on God and him alone for everything we need (for me mainly becasue I can't see him and can't physically climb up in his lap and cry to him about hurts or hug him and thank him or ask him what he wants me to do about something and I don't always trust my feelings because Im human) So to make us feel better I guess we try to do other things that will tide us over, like make sure we do churchy things to try to go to church every sunday or make sure only churchy people are at church , which leads to judging others and making them feel inferior to ourselves because they aren't doing it right.

    I think that the fact that you are so open and are really looking to find out what it means to be a christian and not just being satisfied with what most people do to be a christian is amazing and I admire you for it. I know that you don't feel like you do enough for your friends who don't know christ but I think the people that really know you, know that you are a unique soul and truely care about them and are a real person and wont make them feel like they aren't good enough because they aren't 'churchy'.

    Since we had Noah you have changed so much...and alot for the good...I feel like you and I now know a little more than maybe some people do about life. Unless you go through something really hard you truely don't understand the depth of love, especially Gods love, but at the same time I can become so angry at him because I hurt so bad for Noah. I feel like you and I have grown SO much in our faith and our understanding about God. (we still have A LOT to learn) Even if to some people we seem to have gotten less 'churchy'. The bible says 'they know you are my desciples by the way you love one another ' well my dear I think you are on the right track, sometimes I even get frusterated with you because you love people so much! I think to myself 'couldn't he just get over it, or couldn't he just give up on that friendship because they are not making an effort'. Out of everyone I have met on this planet you are one of the most loving people I have ever met. You compassion and heart for other people is out of this world...when I finally grow up I want to stop being so selfish and be like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You say "based on our actions" I can't in any disagree with you. I was givin' some good advice once. "Are you gonna base YOUR own principals, desires religiously, and what you believe you'll do to your own soul on how others view you or what they think of your church attendance and actions and will you stop your progression (whatever that is for you) based on "others"?

    This statement pops in my head often and helps me deal with my soul and my own questions and struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Christian is a person that follows Jesus because they wholeheartedly believe in him and his teachings so they truly try to follow his word. A religious person goes to church because it's what they think they are supposed to do with their life - like growing up ,going to college, getting a job, paying taxes, getting married, having kids, etc. They do not truly follow his word but interpret it as they see fit. They tend to follow the general trends of the human race and not the ideals of Christian belief. Unfortunately, and thankfully, God gave humans free choice. I say that because I call myself a Christian, just not a very good one. I’m able to choose how I live my life but also be given grace because I believe. Thankfully I’m not “Religious” as I described in my previous definition. It’s a shame the “Religious” are so close but so lost at the same time. You can’t save everyone but you can live as a Christian, setting an example, teaching those who are not, and hoping they see how to really live as one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. could Jesus be my rabbi and my savior without me having to be a part of the american christian church? does the american, republican, right-wing, suit wearing christian church own Jesus?

    ReplyDelete